Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Saturday 2 April 2011

What a difference!

What a difference a friend makes! 

You have all read of my marathon buddy Su, well we had a kind of 'pep talk' day with our charity and the very wise Marathon Man.  He had read my last post re: hayfever and said I should have used my hand once the tissue was done.  Ew!

We learnt lots about the last two weeks - yes!  It is only two weeks away now!  I think we both left feeling a little more confident and inspired.  We also had a chance to look at the types of things our fundraising will help with - Marathon Man showed us a sink that moves up and down in a specially adapted kitchen (as people in wheelchairs are, naturally, of all different heights and the sink can move to a perfect height for them).

It was still fairly early when we left and a nice day so we got back to my flat (I managed not to lose Su who was tailing me in her car Wupert), changed and went off through Cockfosters and up into the woods of Hadley Common.  It wasn't at all boring, beacuse we had each other to talk to and Su always makes me run faster as I am a naturally lazy person and she's a real go-getter.  Our pace was mostly around the 13minute mile which was decent although a lot depends on the DAY as to whether that can be our marathon pace.  One of the things Marathon Man told us was to have three race day plans, the ideal (where conditions are perfect), the contingency (when conditions are not so good) and the minimum acceptable plan where something goes wrong in the race and you have to decide what is, for you, an acceptable finish time.

I honestly don't see myself finishing much before six and a half hours, but as an incentive two people are going to give me more sponsorship if I do...

Which makes me think - why haven't YOU sponsored me yet?  It's easy -http://www.justgiving.com/Elizabethslondonmarathon 
Hadley Woods


No comments:

Post a Comment