Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Wednesday, 13 April 2011


Customs House is not the easiest place to get to from Barnet, it took about two hours door to door (a note taken for race day as Greenwich is about the same distance).  At one point on the DLR I wondered if the trains shook so badly to inflict injuries on marathoners attending the Expo to thin out the crowds come race day.

I arrived before the marathon expo opened at eleven and the queue was to the door, I went in to go to the toilets and when I came back the queue was out the door and around the corner.

Inside Expo, not as large as you might think.
However, once it was eleven we all moved forward with no waiting and went straight to the marathon expo entrance where we had to pick up our race numbers.  As you can see from the photo on the left this was logically organised (as you would expect from the VLM) by race number.  It was very quick and easy to pick up, a quick flash of photo ID and it was done.  Then you had to move off to collect your chip, again this was quick and easy as there were lots of people there to help.  The man who programmed my chip was very friendly and had a laugh at my address (as some people are wont to do).  He asked me if I was looking forward to Sunday (many people were to ask this of me in the hour that followed) and I confessed to first marathon nerves; he told me just to enjoy myself.
Who knew there was a Cherry Marketing Institute?
Runner's World goodies!
There were some interesting stands, although of course charities and running gear predominated.  I got a bargain on some Seven Seas vitamins and a pair of running tights.  I had seen online that Runner's World had their rucksack filled with goodies available for £10 - while stocks lasted, although this wasn't a problem for me as I think I was the first person to buy one.  I was also able to talk to the man there about the pacing groups, but I didn't pick up a pacing band as they seemed to be charging for this and it probably wouldn't be much use to a runner such as myself anyway.  The rucksack was packed full - my favourite item being a pair of Sweaty Betty running socks.  The beef jerky and garlic infused snacks have been passed on to the Bag-Carrying-Boyfriend as well as the can of beer from the goody bag.  There were also the May copies of Runner's World and some Triathlon magazine.

After walking around twice and spending money I didn't have (although I did resist giving Adidas £50 for their souvenier jacket and bought a £10 one instead) I headed for the Pasta Party.  I hadn't saved myself a pound by ordering tickets online in advance as I needed to ask a very important question - does it contain garlic?  The answer was yes, so no pasta party for me :(

The goody bag.
Apparantly there are so many sponsors wanting to put things in the goody bag they now give you two - one on leaving the expo and another at the end of the marathon.  After disgarding all the bits of paper this is what I was left with - things to get fat, drunk and less stinky on!

So I left and began my journey homewards - the final part of my journey being completed sat on a luggage rack towards Welyn Garden City.

One thing on marathon day I don't think I will try is this:

No comments:

Post a Comment