Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Thursday 30 September 2010

The key to marathon running #1

The marathon man from Aspire called this evening.  It's the time of year when people hear about the ballot for the London Marathon.  People like me already know we're in - we've got a charity place.

Marathon Man said "the key to marathon running is..." and then told me he'd probably tell me there are lots of keys to marathon running over the next few months, so I thought I'd share them with you.

"The key to marathon running," he went on, "is maintaining a steady pace.  You want every mile to be the same and if you can do that all the people who tore off at speed in Greenwich will be on their knees when you pass them at your steady pace at Tower Bridge."

He asked me how I was getting on and I told him my mileage had improved from 16minute miles to 14 and that I could run for two hours now, which he calculated rapidly as an experienced runner as 8 or 9 miles - 7 I corrected him.  He said, there you are - 14 minute miles slipping already.

Seriously have you seen the hills in High Barnet?  My seven mile run is uphill for the first half.  Perhaps I should do it flat to see what I can really do?

So key number one - steady pace and that's what I shall work on.

Good running everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment