Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Friday 1 October 2010

Fundraising

The aspiring runner!
This is just a quick one.

I am raising sponsorship for Aspire as they have given me my marathon place and they are a very worthy charity.  As a pauper I would never be able to do this on my own, thankfully I have the support of my lovely school.

We are not a rich school, but we do our bit proudly for charity and I am sure my children give more than their peers in richer areas.  We know the value of being charitable and many of the children know this clearly from their own personal beliefs (one of the five pillars of Islam is about giving money to those who need it).

We also like to have fun so my colleagues and I cooked up an idea.  We decided to have a non-uniform day and ask the children to come as what they aspired to be when they are older.  Adults were asked to come as something they aspired to or what they wanted to be when children. I came as an aspiring marathon runner as you can see from the charming picture above!

The children looked amazing!  We had:
  • a mad professor in a big wig and glasses
  • a Toyota car dealer
  • an economist (who if he flopped was going into politics)
  • nurses
  • vets
  • zookeepers
  • soldiers
  • two scientists in ripped labcoats because their experiment went wrong
  • an ensemble of professional musicians
  • lawyers
  • doctors
  • a 'maker'
Thanks to our Deputy Head I believe we even had a few fairies (would you tell a seven year old they can't become a fairy when older?). 


It was a brilliant day and we even made some money for Aspire!


What's that?  You'd like to help my fundraising?  How lovely, all you have to do is click on the blue justgiving box on the right.  Yep, that's it - there on the right. Thank you.  I will happily accept pounds, dollars and even gold pieces stolen from pirate treasure hauls to help Aspire and I will happily accept as much or as little as you are able to give.  Truly, it all makes a difference.


Sorry, I was wrong - this wasn't a quick one at all.  As the children would so eloquently say "my bad".

No comments:

Post a Comment