Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Sunday 9 January 2011

What I was doing when I should have been running!

Yesterday I was in Swindon (yes, it is a real place) so I didn't get a chance to go for my long run. I was going to go straight to the gym and depress a groove into the treadmill for an hour and a half, but due to the high price of food at the hotel in Swindon I hadn't eaten and didn't fancy running on empty.

I'm going to go off on a non-running tangent now and I'm going to tell you what I was doing in Swindon.  There is a fantastic writer by the name of Jasper Fforde who writes books which are unique, humourous and compelling.  Last year I went to the Fforde Ffiesta which celebrates Jasper's work and the worlds within them.  I have never felt so at home with equally bizarre and  like-minded people!                                                    













This year I am on the organising committee and yesterday was one of our regular planning meetings.  I can't tell you everything that went on in that meeting - but look out for Crusty Cards, collectable spatulas and more dodo schenanagans!

If you are tempted, please check out the Ffiesta website on Jasper's website which tells you all about the Ffiestas of 2010 and 2011For an unbelievable £85 you get a Bank Holiday weekend full of fun and in the presence of Mr Fforde himself.  We have even managed to get you a Ffiesta discount on the hotel rooms so you can stay there as well!
 
Last year attendees came from Australia, the US and...five people came from Swindon itself!

Features this year involve an optional tour of Swindon in a vintage bus, taking in all the 'sights' of the Thursday Next novels; Mid Life Crisis Angst poetry; Lobster Space Invaders, Secret Cheese Tasting; and no Ffiesta would be complete without Spot the Lobster, the March of the Danvers and Name that Fruit!

I hope I'll see you there - 27th May to 30th May 2011 - the De Vere Village Hotel, Shaw Ridge Swindon.

(And it's okay, I went for a woodland run today instead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment