Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Monday 3 January 2011

The Gym

I was a little later getting to the gym today and the treadmills were all being used so I had an extra long stretch whilst I waited and then hopped on the first one that became free.  I then noticed the man on the treadmill next to me was just stood on the machine without it moving. I don't know if he was waiting with a friend, but I was getting really annoyed for all the people who were waiting.

The guy who was on my other side had eaten onions and garlic last night, it was coming through his pores.  Hmm, lovely.

I did 1.4km and then managed to get my arm caught in my headphones and sent my poor MP3 player off on a journey through the air, so I had to stop the machine to retrieve it.  After another 1km I needed to go to the loo.  I left the machine and found another one a few minutes later (free from garlic man).  Now I knew I had to knuckle down and put the kms in!  I had an aim of 4.8km, but agreed with myself to do 6.4 if I could as this is tomorrow's aim and I thought it might be easier to run further on a day off rather than the first day back at school.

I tried to take the speed up to 8km/h when I could and did take it to 9 on one point, but then I kept taking it down to go slow or have a drink.  On the TV I had a choice of 'Bargain Hunt' or 'This Morning', so I chose to listen to the LA Fitness music channel.  When 'This Morning' became a Hattie Jacques documentary I did flick between the two.  For anyone who doesn't know her, she was an amazing actress who never got the parts she could have played because of her size and died aged 56 of a heart attack.  That was motivation to keep running!

To cool down I went for a brief swim.

The treadmill has it's uses, I admit, and I hope it will see me through these dark evenings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment