Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Saturday 29 January 2011

I'm back!

I know, I know - it's been too long. Forgive me.  I had swine flu and that confined me to bed for a while, I haven't been out running for a week and am starting to get itchy feet!

Today I managed to get the train down to King's Cross and to a 'Meet the Expert' marathon seminar run by Virgin London Marathon.  I feel inspired and also on the right track (although the week of not running doesn't make me particularly happy).

The Race Director is one David Bedford, who you probably know from his ripped-off alter-egos the 118 men off the TV.  He was hilarious and at one point appeared in drag.  His talk on the actual basics of race day was very useful.  Also there were nutrition and fundraising experts as well as Liz and Martin Yelling who were really nice and obviously knew their stuff.
This photo is from the end of the day when they were taking questions from us.  Some people asking questions were very obviously not on the right track for the marathon yet, quite a few had not run more than 6 miles or had suffered injuries.  Liz Yelling told them not to panic, but in the next 7 weeks mileage needs to increase up to 20-22miles on the long run (18 as a minimum), so that ten needs to be got in asap.  Of course, the three weeks after that are tapering so we're not too exhausted come race day.

A few of the interesting things I learnt were that runners travel free on the trains/tube and to bring your own toilet roll!  I'll try and write up my notes so they make sense and post them on here (should anyone be interested).

No comments:

Post a Comment