Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Thursday 19 August 2010

Climbing trees

Okay, climbing trees - not really running related, eh?  Bear with me - in my thought processses there was a connection.

You remember the park I run in?  One of the things I love about it are the variety of trees and there is even one I secretly stash a water bottle in away from lunatics and urinating dogs.  I was thinking about this tree and I suddenly wondered why on earth I had never climbed it; then I realised I haven't climbed a tree since I was a kid.  

As a child I loved trees and if it could be climbed, I climbed it.  In my grandparents' garden there were many trees, my favourite was the apple tree - easy to climb once you learnt the secrets of where to put your feet.  There was one wonderous branch in that tree I could actually lie along and I spent many summer afternoons in that tree.  My brothers, cousins and I were intimately acquainted with all the trees in that fantastic garden.  We each had a favourite and often the trees would be an important part of our games and adventures.  Our parents were also the type that took us to the great outdoors at weekends and in the holidays and we made the acquaintance of new trees.  So you see, I'm a big fan of trees.  The strange thing is though - when did I stop climbing them?  When did we all stop climbing them?  I mean, honestly have you seen an adult who isn't a tree surgeon in a tree? 

Well it all changes now!  Tomorrow I'm going to the park and I'm going to climb me a tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment