Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Still running

I feel a little bad.  I've neglected this blog for a long time now.  I suppose it always creeps into my mind at this time of year, as this week is the build up to the London Marathon.  Four years ago my friend Su and I were two of the starters at the VLM.  We started at the back with all the guys in the funny costumes.  

Su and I don't see each other very much any more - but we do what many busy people living in different parts of the country do and Facebook each other once in a while.  Despite our lack of regular contact Su is actually a very important person in  my life.  You see - she changed my life.

Back in 2010 I met up with her and we had a coffee in the little basement Starbucks off Covent Garden.  We got talking about the VLM and found we shared a dream to do it one day.  Then she made me shake on it.  Those of you who know Su will know she's a bit like a terrier - strong and tenacious.  Once you've shaken on something with Su that's it - you've as good as signed in blood and promised your first born if you fail to follow through.

Su didn't let me forget and when we didn't get a ballot place she began looking at charity places.  She pushed me to run although I had never run before in my adult life (does cross country in PE as an eleven year old even count?).  We signed up to run a 5k together and were supported by my friend Vikki who had turned her fitness around and become a super-fit running inspiration to me (and still is).

Su and Vikki believed in me when I didn't.  I had reasons not to believe in myself.  I was a stressed, busy teacher with little 'free' time and I was carrying five stone of additional weight.  Running was new to me and my speed and distance were less than impressive.  And yet Su kept encouraging and Vikki kept inspiring.

Four years ago, this fat and unfit would-be runner completed the VLM and, in all, I raised just short of £3k for my charity.

Since that day I go out running when I want and can (not as often as I would like with a one year old), keep fit with Ms Jillian Michaels and am four and a bit stones lighter.  This wouldn't have happened without the marathon.  It's safe to say that Su changed my life.  How can you thank someone for that?

When people ask if they can run a marathon I tell them they can, because I know it is possible.  Someone told me it was.  And so it came to be.

I may not be fast and I may not run often, but Goddammit - I'm a runner!

Now get your running shoes on and get out that door.

No comments:

Post a Comment