Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Sunday 27 May 2012

Running Makes You Stupid

Today was the Bupa London 10k and it was HOT!
The Mall looks amazing for the Jubilee weekend in a week's time, huge union flags from the crown-topped lamp posts and seating and scaffolding up for the special events.  I can't show you any photos as I left my iPhone at work on Friday and have been living with out it since. This also means I have been living without an alarm clock, sat nav and countless other applications I have taken forgranted.
It was hot early on, as I knew it would be as I volunteered at Park Run yesterday morning and it was hot by half eight.  I kept sipping water to try and prepare for the hot race.
I don't have many great top tips, but one I stand by is - when you get to an event go straight to the toilets whether you need to or not, later the queues will be immense and even if you do need to go again, you shouldn't be quite so desperate!
I was in the very last wave (again) so completely missed seeing Mo Farrah or any of the other elite runners. This did mean I had a chance to do lots of overtaking though which is always good for the morale.
Now - on to the stupidity of the title.  On my walk to the train station this morning I was rapidly calculating different mph and what time this would bring me in at.  I knew I wanted to try for a PB despite the heat and was formulating what would give me a five minute PB and what would give me just a few minutes PB in case the heat really got to me.  Now, as I went round I had to recalculate these as I slowed down due to the heat - do you think I could do the simplest arithmatic?  My brain was pure fudge and simple multiplication became impossible.  All my energy was in my legs and in trying to cool myself down - there was nothing left for the poor old brain.  So it's official - running makes you stupid (at least whilst you're doing it anyway).
And my PB? A respectable four and a half minutes thank you very much - no thanks to the mind fudge that forgot at 8km my Garmin measures in miles and the route was in kms!

No comments:

Post a Comment