Adverse Camber

I started this blog to get me through the London Marathon 2011. It was quite a challenge as I only started running on the 3rd of May 2010. I finished the marathon with painful blisters and quite a lot of money for a great charity!

This blog is now taking me on a new journey - to a fitter lifestyle aided by running.

Wednesday 28 July 2010

The start of it all - April 2010

Su only had an hour, 11am. This was too early for me on a Saturday morning, but I hadn't seen her since a mutual friend's wedding the previous summer. It was now April.

I wandered in a tired daze to my local train station to change onto the Piccadilly line at Finsbury Park. Whilst on the train I had an image leap into my head from nowhere. It was like a photo of me - in navy blue and white running gear finishing a race. I looked slim and fit (unlike the present me) and I had shorter, dyed hair. This picture came from nowhere. Perhaps part of it was influenced by the recent London Marathon. Like many people I watched the marathon on TV (never yet having bothered to go and watch it in the flesh), sat back on my sofa, drinking my tea thinking "I'd like to do that". I've thought it every year since the marathon has been going.

At Covent Garden I was early so I wandered into Monsoon to remind myself it was out of my price range and look at clothes I could not afford. I stepped outside to call Su and ask her where we should meet. She's in Monsoon.

We go to Starbucks and drank calorific specialities. For some reason we got on to the subject of the London Marathon and both confess to having always wanted to achieve this. I have a hazy recollection of what happened next, but the consequence is we shook on a deal - to do the 2011 London Marathon.

Of course, I didn't take this seriously and thought Su would forget all about it. She doesn't. Then it hits me and I start panicking - I am really going to have to RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment